New Form I-9 Released from the USCIS for Employment Verification
On March 8, 2013, The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) published a revised Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9. All employers will need to complete a Form I-9 for each employee hired in the United States.
First, improvements to Form I-9 include new fields, reformatting to reduce errors, and clearer instructions to both employees and employers. The Department of Homeland Security has published a Notice in the Federal Register informing employers of the new Form I-9.
What It Means For Employers
Effective 03/08/13 employers:
- Should begin using the newly revised Form I-9 (Rev. 03/08/13)N for all new hires and re-verifications.
- May continue to use previously accepted revisions (Rev.02/02/09)N and (Rev. 08/07/09) Y until May 7, 2013.
- Will have a 60-day grace period, until May 7, 2013, to comply by using the new form.
- After May 7, 2013, employers must only use Form I-9 (Rev. 03/08/13)N.
- Should not complete a new Form I-9 for current employees if a properly completed Form I-9 is already on file.
A Spanish version of Form I-9 (Rev. 03/08/13)N is available on the USCIS website for use in Puerto Rico only. In addition, Spanish-speaking employers and employees in the 50 states, Washington, D.C., and other
U.S. territories may use the Spanish version for reference but must complete the English version of the form.
Justifacts Is Here To Help
The two-page Form I-9 documents that are required by all U.S. employers can be found at the following links:
- English Form I-9
- Spanish Form I-9 (May be filled out by employers and employees in Puerto Rico ONLY)
Learn How To Go Paperless
Justifacts has developed a paperless, electronic I-9 system that creates and stores the Form I-9. As an Employer Agent for E-verify, Justifacts processes E-Verify requests for registered employers. When used together, the electronic I-9 system and E-Verify agent access allow employers a fast, accurate method for verifying the work eligibility of all newly hired employees.
Find more information on our paperless Form I-9 solutions, check out Electronic I-9 Verification System
Subscribe to our email list to be alerted of our next blog post: